Wednesday that the program was suspended following a disagreement on Tuesday
between it and Festus Keyamo, Minister of State for Employment, Labour and
announced the suspension of the National Employment Directorate’s Special
Public Works program to cushion the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic.
approved the engagement of 774, 000 Nigerians under the scheme.
country’s 774 local government areas, 1,000 Nigerians who would earn N20,000
each on a monthly basis for three months are expected to be recruited.
in October this year. But the nation’s parliament on Wednesday said the
programme has been suspended following the disagreement between it and the
Minister of State for Employment, Labour and Productivity, Festus Keyamo, on
Basiru, who announced the program’s suspension at a press conference in Abuja,
said the National Assembly has summoned the minister responsible for the
ministry to appear before the federal legislature to explain the recruitment
the implementation of the programme shall be on hold pending proper briefing of
the National Assembly by the Minister of Labour and Productivity.”
lawmakers on Tuesday, walked out the Minister of State for Labour, Employment
and Productivity, Festus Keyamo, following his refusal to apologise after the
legislators accused him of raising his voice against them.
investigative hearing organised by the National Assembly Joint Committee on
Employment, Labour and Productivity.
summoned the Minister and the Director General of the National Directorate of
Employment, Mr. Nasiru Ladan Argungu, to brief them on steps so far taken to
recruit 774, 000 across the country.
Keyamo for allegedly lopsided recruitment without the active involvement of the
National Employment Directorate, the agency that received N52bn National
Assembly approval to implement the program.